- 05 Jun 2020
Stone: The Original Craft Beers Still Among the Best
Sitting during in the mid-90s bemoaning the tyrannical oppression of the American beer drinker at the hands of fizzy yellow beer makers and lauding the efforts of America’s rising craft brewers, Steve Wagner and Greg Koch knew what they had to do:
the only possible conclusion became clear: They had to open their own brewery.
And so was born Stone Brewing Co., the first American craft beer maker to truly expand beyond the craft niche and make it a worldwide phenomenon.
ZippBike is a big fan of Stone’s many varieties, with seven of its brews in its online catalog. And right now you can get a mix-and-match six pack of four great Stone beers at a special price. Simply use STONE100 at checkout to get 100 baht off your total.
Featured right now are the original Stone IPA, Stone Delicious, Stone Scorpion Bowl and Stone Ripper.
By definition, an India pale ale is hoppier and higher in alcohol than its little brother, pale ale – and Stone IPA delivers in spades. One of the most well-respected and best-selling IPAs in the the world, this golden beauty explodes with tropical, citrusy, piney hop flavors and aromas, all perfectly balanced by a subtle malt character. This crisp, extra hoppy brew is hugely refreshing on a hot day, but will always deliver no matter when you choose to drink it.
- Featured Hops: Magnum, Chinook, Centennial, Azacca, Calypso, Motueka, Ella & Vic Secret™
- Flavor Profile: Citrusy, tropical, piney
- Palate: Medium body with no perceivable sweetness and a clean lingering bitterness.
- Appearance: Pours clear golden with a white head.
- Aroma: Intense lemon rind, fruity cereal and piney hop flavors
When creating an IPA deserving of the name “Delicious,” intense flavor was paramount, and that’s just what this bright, citrus-forward standout brings to the table. Crafted to reduce gluten, the beer and its magnificent lemon candylike flavor and hop spice can be enjoyed by nearly everyone.
- Featured Hops: Nugget, Calypso, Lemondrop & El Dorado
- Flavor Profile: Hoppy, Citrus, Lemongrass
- Palate: Medium body with a bitter, dry finish.
- Appearance: Pours deep gold with a white-colored head.
- Aroma: Spicy, herbal and citrusy hop aromatics balanced with light-toasted malt. The spiciness is reminiscent of lemongrass.
To create a recipe so tropical and fruity without the addition of fruit was no feat the Stone team of brewers would leave up to the gods. They took floral and citrus notes from Mosaic, Loral and Mandarina Bavaria hops to dish up a mouthwatering fruit punch to the palate. Get deserted on your own island or share with others. One thing is for sure: there is no need to light this one. It is already on fire.
- Featured Hops: Mosaic, Loral & Mandarina Bavaria
- Flavor Profile: Complex and layered fruit throughout including juicy tropical fruit, tangerine, strawberry, blueberry, and subtle herbal notes.
- Palate: Savory and tropical! There is a nice lingering fruit finish with just the right amount of bitterness.
- Appearance: Deep gold, bright, thin white head.
- Aroma: An explosion of tropical aromas! Essences of Hibiscus punch, pineapple, tangerine, guava, mango, and passion fruit.
When it came to creating Ripper, Stone drew inspiration from the coastal surf cultures of SoCal and Oz. Sourcing classic Cascade from the Pacific Northwest and Australian Galaxy hops from…yes…Australia, we made a beer both lovers of frothy peaks and hoppy green buds will be stoked about. At the same time, Stone stayed true to its San Diego roots by pushing the hop boundaries of this style. While some might think it lingers on an edge far closer to an IPA, with all the dry-hop flavor and aroma, it’s actually right in line with the current-day interpretation of a West Coast pale. Ours just so happens to have an Aussie accent that’s cascading with a juicy amount of grapefruit and passion fruit hoppiness. So veg out or venture out. Either way, rip one open and taste this awesome golden nectar!
- Featured Hops: Cascade & Australian Galaxy
- Flavor Profile: Floral, tropical, juicy
- Palate: Medium-body with moderate bitterness and very refreshing overall
- Appearance: Deep golden with a light tan head
- Aroma: Fresh orange, floral, pineapple and peach